As unnerving as some of us would find being alone with a dead body, it’s an everyday thing for morticians and funeral directors. But even when you’re used to dealing with the dead, life is full of surprises. And when something can creep out even the most experienced funeral worker, you know it must be really weird.
So whether it’s from the bodies themselves or funeral mishaps, these 15 bizarre sights managed to stand out for funeral workers.
COMMENT if you’ve seen some grisly things yourself.
1. Corpses will sometimes sit up.
It’s rare enough to surprise funeral workers when it happens, but rigor mortis can do some weird things.
2. Bodies can also get erections.
It’s called “angel lust”. It apparently pops up when you prepare a body a certain way.
3. Some corpses can get a little grabby.
A tissue recovery tech once had a donor wrap his fingers around their hand while they were shaving him. Again, rigor mortis can be a strange beast.
5. One mortician had to prepare her own son for his funeral.
She reported loving the job, but that drove her to retire early.
6. If the funeral involves animals, they don’t always make it.
One funeral procession had a horse pull the hearse, but the animal was killed by an impatient driver.
4. One funeral director had a big Christmas delivery.
Her San Diego facility ran out of space so she had to drive to LA at midnight with 11 corpses in her van. Yikes.